While attending the John Maxwell Live Event in Orlando, FL, I had the opportunity to spend a day at Disney’s Animal Kingdom and experience the Kilimanjaro Safari. I was in awe of the animals in their natural habitat especially the Zebras. I can’t recall if I’d ever seen a Zebra up close and personal. These unique animals are beautiful and although you may think they are all alike, they are not. They are unique because they are all different!
I imagine a Zebra saying, “I’m not a horse, and I’m not a donkey. I AM A ZEBRA! I am
different, I am unique and I don’t need your permission to be great!”
We all have greatness inside of us crying in a muffled voice, “let me out; let me out!” But we create ignore, stifle, and refuse to let it out to shine.
One minute we marvel at the greatness in others and then the next minute we minimize their shine and their greatness by saying, “well, he can do this because… or she can do that because…” OR we rationalize an excuse about why we haven’t started our own journey toward greatness.
Many get caught up in the comparison trap of looking around at everyone else except focusing on ourselves. This leads to the Dysfunction of CCS- Copy Cat Syndrome. We compare and mimic the work and greatness of others instead of charting our own path to greatness. Change Your Ways!
Regardless of the depth and the size of the greatness inside of you, it was placed there for you to make an impact in the lives of others.
So why haven’t YOU started?
Even when we know and understand our gifts we make the mistake of needing, wanting and requesting validation from others before we execute. BIG MISTAKE! It’s a mistake because most of the time we are talking to the wrong people.
Just like the Zebra, you DO NOT need permission to be great you only need 5 things:
- GYMR. Everything starts and ends with GYMR. What is GYMR? “Get yo mind right!” If you don’t have the right mindset nothing else will matter. The process of GYMR starts with a desire, then a belief that it can happen, then a commitment to make it happen. GYMR is an ongoing process and it must be tweaked at different levels of your journey. Here are some tips to help you with your GYMR.
- Vision Boards
- Oath of Manifestation
- Spiritual connectedness
- A Gladiator Team
- Add your own
- Assessment. Assess and determine YOUR gifts, your uniqueness, and your tried, true and tested talent. Not the gifts and talents you would like to have or covet from someone else, but your talents and gifts where you have had success. Spend some time thinking about this and make a list, be honest and don’t leave anything out.
- Trust. Plain and simple you must trust your ability! When I worked for the state, rarely if ever did I ask permission. Because I was confident in my decisions. As I started my business I took the leap because I was confident in my ability to create greatness. How did I know? Because I had done it many times before. Trusting yourself does not mean you won’t be afraid but it will mean that you will start!
- STOP. Asking the opinions of people who have never followed their dream or taken risks. One of the pitfalls of sharing your dreams with the wrong people is they will use their fear and insecurity to talk you out of it. Remember, Iron sharpens iron.
- Strategize. Strategize how you will take your next steps. Work with a consultant-coach like me to help you stay focused, accountable, and not allow you to get stuck. Working with someone also provides a strategic thinking partner who understands HOW to help you channel your greatness in the best way.
- Execute. Being great involves action. You don’t need all the answers, knowledge, and certainly not the opinions. You just need to EXECUTE and the answers to the questions you have and the knowledge you need will appear.
Be like the Zebra and be led by the uniqueness of your stripes to be great! No Permission Needed! I would love to help you develop strategies that will lead you and your organization to greatness!
Taunya A. Lowe, Ph.D. is the CEO of The Resurgent Group of Metro Atlanta, LLC, a human services and leadership development consulting firm located in Lawrenceville, GA. Dr. Lowe is an author, speaker, trainer, consultant, and professor. Trained by John Maxwell and his team, she is a skilled change agent with a focus on developing people and organizations. She enjoys combining her many talents with her photography and writing to motivate, inspire and lead people and organizations toward change. Learn more about Dr. Lowe, by visiting www.drtaunyalowe.com or email her email@example.com or call her office (855) 873-4445.